Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Training....always in training...

I feel like if I am not training for something, I will not run. It has been proven to me twice now (I took off almost exactly 3 months after the Twin Cities Marathon). Well, after the Fargo Marathon I took a longer time off than I would have on purpose for my knee to heal (I was thinking 2 weeks and then into Ragnar training...instead it was about 6 weeks). I don’t know…it’s great to have a goal, but will I want to have one forever? What if start to not enjoy running. I don't want it to be a chore, although right now I just would be happy to like it a bit more so this extra weight would just come off already. And presently, though I have a goal (Ragnar Relay), I am having a hard time sticking to my scheduled runs. I have veered off the training schedule on the Ragnar website because of my knee. Although it doesn’t hurt now when I run, I don’t want to re-injure it by over doing it. I think what I will be doing will prepare me for the 6.9 / 3.6 / 4.2 miles I will be running in a 24 hour time period, but I am wanting to do that once before the race to prove it to myself. That is where I am going to tweak my training schedule once again. But before I do that, I have to do my 2 runs in one day; which my first one will be tomorrow. I plan on running 5 miles in the early AM, and then 5 more miles after work tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Also trying to eat healthy again as I somehow gained 8 pounds in 6 weeks after the Fargo Marathon...ick!

4 comments:

  1. Goals are good in life. In my opinion, they should vary though to avoid burnout. It sounds as though you may be heading that way when it comes to running. Maybe it is time to turn your focus in another direction that can include running instead of centering on it (after ragnar, of course). But, just my opinion and it is not the only option of course.

    I am here if you need support in healthy eating. I know I can use the support! I'm down 15 lbs in 5 weeks since I've rejoined WW, & 45 since the end of pregnancy.

    Love you, miss you, & I will support whatever path you choose :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, but we know we love to run...so I it is my guess we will always come back to it, even if we take an extended break.
    Whenever I start saying "I should go for a run" instead of "I WANT to go for a run" I know it is time for a break or time to shake up my running routine.

    I'm with you on the healthy eating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's okay to take a break once in a while. When you look back on how dedicated and committed you were during all those mornings of getting up early and running, running, running to train for Fargo (while the rest of us were sleeping), you should be proud of what you accomplished. Good luck with Ragner. I'm sure you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I love when you comment on my blogs, it keeps me going.

    Claire, I am trying to stick to WW but I haven't since Steamboat Days here in Winona...I cannot stay away from greasy food and sweets. 4th of July was a killer. But, at least this week I am counting EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING even though I am going way over. I will get there! Oh, and that's a good idea about having a goal that involves running, but isn't the center of the goal...hmmm...

    Becky, You are right, I LOVE RUNNING...and totally get what you mean about saying "I should run..." VS "I want to run" - after Ragnar I will be wanting to run more than having too!

    Barb, I love that you are always looking out for me to stop being hard on myself! You are right, I do need to look at the dedication and committment that got me to running TWO MARATHONS! Whoo hoo! Oh, and we should do lunch again soon...somewhere...different. Do you like Chong's Noodle House on East 4th?

    ReplyDelete